Do you enjoy animation and want to explore a career in the growing field?
Are you considering developing new professional skills and adding animation to your resume?
Do you want to be a creative storyteller and bring characters to life?
The Animation Core from Michigan State University’s School of Journalism is the perfect place to launch your passion and exploration of the craft, providing a solid foundation for animating in several styles.
Advantages of MSU Journalism’s Animation Core
• Study Animation online from anywhere
• Each 7 week course is stand-alone
• Courses are geared around you, allowing beginners to experienced to learn at their level
• Learn 2D, 3D and Stop Motion Animation skills
• Multiple software options for each course
• Learn from world-leading professional animators
• Animation Certificate is offered for completing the full Core (3 courses)
The Animation Core
Technology is always changing. As a working animator, you will often be adapting to the studio’s production pipeline software. We believe, regardless of the software or medium, the philosophical ideas and skills for animation always remain the same. The MSU School of Journalism has designed the Animation Core to teach the enduring skills and principles in each of the three courses. You will learn the foundations of animation, plus the techniques for specific mediums and softwares.
Animation Core Courses
2D Animation Storytelling
Principal skills/concepts: Storyboarding, character design, character rigging, environmental design, body language, 2D animation techniques, lip syncing, multi-camera sequences, stereoscopic camera, 12 principles and camera animation.
* Course has tutorial versions for Reallusion Crazytalk Animator or Toon Boom Harmony, along with Adobe Photoshop for backgrounds and character design.
3D Animation Storytelling
Principle skills/concepts: Storyboarding, 3D animation techniques, body language, lip syncing, motion capture sequences, multi-camera sequences, 360 camera sequences and camera animation.
* Course has tutorial versions for Autodesk Maya or Reallusion iClone.
Stop Motion Storytelling
Principle skills/concepts: Storyboarding, character/puppet design, armature creation, environmental design, body language, stop motion techniques for body and eye and lip syncing, lighting techniques and camera techniques.
*Course has tutorial versions for smartphone camera with Stop Motion App or DSLR Camera with Dragon Frame Software.
*Please note a certificate does not constitute a university degree
*The Animation Core is not transcriptable
*The Animation Core cannot be used in place of the Animation & Comics Minor
Begins Fall 2017
Click Brochure to Download